I took Ava to have pictures taken at Portrait Innovations recently. She did SO WELL! They suggest customers bring a few outfit changes, so of course we complied! I brought two dresses and bows to match: (1) her Easter dress and (2) a $15 dress I bought at a local consignment sale, displayed on the “Play Dress Up for $15” rack. When I originally tried the “Princess / Dress-Up” dress on her last week, she didn’t like it. I’m sure it was a bit itchy? Tuesday when I asked her if she would like to wear a pretty dress like a princess, she was excited about wearing it. We'll be sure to post the pictures at a later date.
They are AMAZING photographers at Portrait Innovations, knowing all the tricks of the trade for getting a kiddo to smile / pose. Letting out a sigh of relief after photos were taken, we triumphantly exited through the door, thinking the most traumatic portion of the day was behind us. Little did I know…
Holding Ava’s hand and juggling dresses on the way to the car, Ava decided to pick her feet up and stop walking, but still wanted me hanging onto her hand. She’s been playing this game lately, I’m not sure why… I then heard something “pop” (loudly enough) in her wrist. Immediately she started crying like her wrist was hurt, and wouldn’t use that arm or let me look at it. I was heading home with her in the car, but she kept nursing her wrist and crying inconsolably. After passing by her doc’s office, I decided to make a u-turn and went into the doc with her. It really scared me, because she stopped using that entire arm as soon as it happened. I cried in the doc’s office, feeling guilty for possibly “hurting her”.
She was in some serious pain, but her doctor (the sweetest lady doctor on the face of the planet) gave her something for the pain, and was very comforting to her / me. They did x-rays, etc. I couldn’t hold her for the x-ray, being pregnant, so they rounded-up a random unit secretary who held her, all while Ava screamed…When they were manipulating Ava’s wrist into different positions for the x-ray, I guess they ended-up popping it back into place (unintentionally), because she started using it immediately. Gingerly at first, then she used it as she normally would. It turns out nothing was broken or sprained, but she did have “nursemaid’s elbow.”
All’s well that ends well. I guess this type of thing is pretty common, per the doctor. We will need to be a little more careful with her wrist / arm in the next month or so, as the ligaments could potentially dislocate again. I’m just SO THANKFUL that she didn’t break her arm or wrist. I had visions of an Easter egg hunt transpiring with a sweetly-dressed little girl donned with a clunky arm cast. Thankfully that won’t be happening!
After sleeping off a dose of pain medicine, Ava woke up with a smile on her face, ready to tackle the world again. The plethora of glow-in-the-dark stickers from the nice x-ray tech might’ve helped with that smile, too. Ava must be fine; the stickers have already found their way into her hair and onto her face…
With our love,
Shelly, Doug and Ava
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Oh my goodness. I would have reacted the same way you did. Sounds like you handled it like a pro! Glad she is alright :)
Post a Comment